Frederick County, Maryland schools have their spring break from Thursday, March 28th through Wednesday, April 3rd this year. Ok, so the kids are out of school. Now what?
Did you know that Fountain Rock Park is open 7 days a week? The Nature Center is open on the weekends and for scheduled events. Plus Fountain Rock Park & Nature Center has a number of activities your children may enjoy while they are out of school.
Ideas to keep the kids busy? Here are a few…
1. Stop by and visit the historical lime kilns. Learn how lime kilns played an important part in the history of Frederick County.
2.Visit the quarry pond and feed the fish. Often you can see the fish at the surface and they will even follow you along the boardwalk as you enjoy watching the ducks and geese on the quarry pond.
3. Take the kids to the playground. Yes, Fountain Rock Park has a playground for the kids! Let your younger children enjoy the slide, the swings and even the “zip line” on the playground. We have open areas where the kids can play frisbee or just run around and watch the birds and the squirrels.
4. Try your hand at trout fishing. Fountain Rock Park has it’s very own stocked trout pond! Great place for kids to learn how to fish and enjoy nature. Bring a lawn chair and sit back, relax and try to land a trout. Maryland fishing license with trout stamp is required.
5. On the weekend visit the Nature Center. Did you know we have over twenty different reptiles and insects on display? Learn all about the different reptiles and insects and how they fit into our natural environment.
6. Walk a trail. We have several small trails, both paved and unpaved, you can experience.
7. Explore the native plants and trees. See how many trees you can identify. Not sure which tree is which? Ask one of our park staff or volunteers. They will be glad to help.
8. You can have a picnic lunch on the grounds.
Finally, you can do just about anything nature related at our park. Please bring the kids and enjoy your park.