Poison Ivy! The mere mention of the words makes my skin crawl. I, like many others, am allegric to poison ivy. What is poison ivy? How do you avoid it?
Fountain Rock Park & Nature Center has poison ivy on the park grounds. Birds love the poison ivy plants and eat the berries they produce. Some animals, such as goats, actually eat the leaves for food.
You can use the chart above to help identify poison ivy and other poison plants such as poison oak and poison sumac. The first word in the name of these plants (poison) should be enough for most people to try and avoid the plants. However, it is spring time headed toward summer and we all want (or should want) to be outside enjoying nature. This article is just a gentle reminder to be mindful of your surrounding and hopefully avoid a painful rash. It is not just the leaves that contain the oil that some people are allergic to — the vines themselves have the same oil.
Photo above is of a poison ivy vine clinging to a tree. (photo used with permission under a Wikipedia creative commons license)
Would you like to know more about poison ivy? Stop by our nature center and ask one of our friendly staff or volunteers and they will be glad to answer your questions.
The nature center is open on weekends. Saturday 10am to 4pm and Sunday 1pm to 4pm.
The park grounds are open 7 days a week starting at 8:00am.