Get ready to play in the park! Observe, listen, smell, and feel the outdoors in this interactive program designed for our smallest nature lovers.
Pre-school aged children are by nature curious about animals and living things around them. Activities at Nature Academy will encourage them to think about their surroundings, provide opportunities to learn though open and structured hands-on activities, and let children learn in a safe outdoor setting. Abundant sensory opportunities will include: objects found in nature, live animals, creative art activities, gardening and outdoor awareness. Our goal is to build a love of the environment and respect for all living things through education and exploration.
Join us as we explore the woods, the creek, the fields, and look deep into our environment to discover answers together. This new program begins Fall 2014, and will be offered quarterly.
Tuesdays & Thursdays
9:30am to Noon
September 9th – November 13th
Why Nature Based Learning?
Children cannot bounce off the walls if we take away the walls.- Erin K. Kenny, author of Forest Kindergartens
Research shows there are many benefits to interacting with the natural world. Connecting with nature…
- Supports Creativity and Problem Solving
- Enhances Cognitive Abilities
- Improves Academic Performance
- Reduces Attention Deficit Disorder Symptoms
- Increases Physical Activity
- Improves Nutrition
- Improves Eyesight
- Improves Social Relations
- Improves Self- Discipline
- and Reduces Stress
A Sample Day at Nature Academy
9:30-9:50am Arrival and Centers
- Bird Beak experiment
- Plush bird song match
- Egg activity (wooden painted eggs/matching)
- Bird Puppets
9:50-10:00am Circle Time
- Today’s Weather
- Gather around and review what you have found in centers
- Ask “What do these things have in common”
10:00-11:30am Outdoor Exploration
- Bird Hike
- Fill bird feeders
- Use binoculars to observe local birds
- Kid friendly bird identification
- Migration/ neo-tropical birds (seasonal)
- Use natural materials to build a shelter or bird nest
11:30-12:00n Indoor Centers and Story time
- Animal poses/yoga
- Story of the Day
For more information, please see the Recreator Activity Guide. You can also register for Nature Academy is online through the Frederick County Parks & Recreation website. Register Now.