The tenant houses are historic homes on the Fountain Rock Park property. The names of the tenant houses reflect previous owners.
The Luby House
The Luby House is currently used as an office and educational space. The house has been moved three times during its life. At one time it was the scale house at the front of the lane where farmers would weigh gravel as it exited the property. The 1930 U.S. Census indicated that there were seven dwelling houses on this property that were occupied by Lime Company employees.
The Kaufman House
There is little historic documentation available on the Kaufman House at Fountain Rock Park. The exact date of construction is unknown. Census reviews of the early 20th century have yielded little information because the houses on the property were not numbered (Polzin 2004). It was presumed that Adam Diehl, Jr. lived here around 1873.
The Kaufman House was constructed on a raised stone foundation, comprised of local limestone. The two story dwelling is covered with wood German siding. Evidence suggests that the hand hewn logs used to construct this building were originally part of an earlier structure. Original tenons and notching can be seen on the walls from the interior (Sager 2005).
The National Park Service working in cooperation with Frederick County Parks renovated the log cabin in the summer of 2006 with completion in 2007. Included in this renovation was a new roof, new flooring on the first floor and new windows. The workmen meticulously used historical records in order to preserve its authenticity.
The Handley House
Named for the Handley family who resided there from 1936 to 1950, the Handley House is located across from the Kaufman House. This dwelling was built between 1900 and 1910, most likely in 1907, when Leonard E. Barrick sold the quarry and kiln property to Fountain Rock Lime Company for $20,000.
There is a three room floor plan on both the first and second stories. All walls are covered with pressed wood paneling from the 1960s or 1970s. The exterior walls were originally covered with wood German lapped siding and later covered with gray asphalt shingles. The roof is covered with corrugated metal sheets. Water was piped into the house in 1946. In 1983 the house was used by a local Fire Department for a practice burn.